All men want solid chiseled cores. Women too want abs.
Unfortunately, getting a solid core is difficult.
Getting upper abs is even more difficult.
But there is good news.
There are many upper abs workouts you can use to get the core you want.
If you pick two or three of them and you do them consistently, you should be able to get the solid core you are looking for.
The fact that there are quite a number means there are many to try. Meaning you won’t get bored doing Upper abs workouts.
Most of the workouts above can be conveniently done at home.
In other words, you can do most upper abs workout without equipment.
Point to Note
Before I share with you the best upper abs workouts, there is an important point I want you to note.
Upper abs workouts are fantastic core exercises.
However, you cannot get great results if you do them alone.
You need to do them plus lower abs exercises and other strength and cardio exercises to get the optimum results.
The Benefits of Doing Upper Ab Exercises
- They Reduce Back Pain
Abdominal muscles support lower and mid-back muscles. If they are weak, they make the back muscles to support them as per information from the renowned Cleveland Clinic. (1)
This leads to the overworking and straining of lower-back and mid-back muscles resulting in pain.
Therefore, working out your abdominal muscles can help you to reduce pain by making them strong enough to support your back muscles.
Strong abdominal muscles also prevent the pelvis from tilting too far forward, which can result in plenty of pressure on the discs in your lower back.
Thus, if you are feeling any sort of pain, you should be doing upper ab workouts at home.
Full Guide: View our lean muscle gaining workout here!
- They Improve Posture
When you have a weak core, your muscles will not allow you to stand or sit straight. No matter how hard you try. So you will end up with a weak or slouching posture.
However, when you do ab workouts, you will strengthen your core and automatically improve your posture.
And we all need a good posture.
Because a good posture is essential for your self-confidence and also for keeping your joints and bones in alignment so as to reduce the possibility of back injuries and arthritis.
- They Build Strength for Daily Functions and Sports
Doing upper ab workouts at home or in the gym will build your core strength and make it easier for you to perform daily functions.
Because stronger abs support your spine and lower back muscles resulting in a strong core that will make it easier for you to sit, walk, twist, bend, lift things, and so on and so forth.
Back injuries and falls usually occur when people do not have strong cores.
Most sports require you to have a strong core for stability and for movement.
By working out your core, you will build a stronger platform to participate in most sports.
- They Make You More Attractive
You want to look more attractive at bodybuilding competitions, modeling competitions, at the beach, or just with your shirt or top off?
Well, there is no better way to do it than to work out your upper and lower abs.
Having abs will seriously improve your attractiveness very quickly.
Shredding Tips: Learn tips to get shredded here!
Upper Abs Workout Tips
For the best results when doing upper abs workout for beginners, you should take into account the following tips:
- Breathing right is important. You should exhale when contracting your abdominal muscles and inhale when relaxing them. Doing the opposite will impact the effectiveness of the ab exercises you do.
- Cardio is important. You cannot get good-looking abs without doing cardio. So make sure you introduce several cardio sessions into your weekly workout routine to burn fat and make your abs appear.
- Focus not on sets and reps. They are important but not as important as form and posture. Doing the exercises in the right form and posture will bring you better results.
- Embrace the burn. Many newbies doing upper abs workout for beginners usually stop when they start feeling the burn. This is wrong. The burn is the point where your muscles start getting challenged to grow so overcoming it to complete your sets will bring you better results.
- Train frequently and determinedly. Upper abs are usually very difficult to work on. You need to train hard and frequently to see good results.
- Use weighted ab workouts for faster results. Once you have trained for a couple of weeks and you have made progress, you should use weighted ab workouts to challenge your upper abs even more for a more significant difference.
- Good physiques are built in the kitchen. So if you want to build a good body, you must change your diet first. This is a long story but the gist of it is that you should eliminate processed and fast foods and drinks from your diet especially greasy and sugary foods. You should also make your diet more balanced. Doing these things will ensure the hard work you put in at the gym does not go to waste.
The Best Upper Abs Workouts
Part 1: The Best Upper Abs Workout without Equipment
The Toe Taps
This is a great upper abs workout for beginners.
- Lie flat on the floor facing up and with your legs up and spread
- Clasp your fingers and reach across to touch one set of toes and then the other.
- Exhale when reaching across.
- Make sure your head stays near the floor at all times to make the routine effective.
The Sprinter Set
This is perhaps the most effective upper ab workout at home. Almost every trainer I know recommends it for great upper abs.
- Lie flat on your back.
- Stretch out your hands and legs as if being pulled apart by your arms and legs.
- From that position, try to come to the sitting position as quickly as you can by drawing 1 knee straight to your chest as if starting a sprint.
- Hold and contract your core muscles for 10 seconds.
- Return knee to near-start position and do the same for the other knee.
Bicycle crunches is also a great upper abs workout for beginners. Advanced bodybuilders can also use it to tone their upper abs.
- Lie flat facing up and put your hands up near your head (elbows facing up).
- Put your knees up.
- Move your left knee and right elbow across touch them together.
- Crunch or contract your core muscles while doing so.
- Repeat with the right knee and the left elbow.
- Continue with the motion as if pedaling a bike.
The Scorpion Reach
- Get in the plank position.
- Make sure your arms are straight and shoulder-width apart.
- Make your right knee touch your left elbow.
- From the position, kick the right leg back out into the air.
- Try to make the leg touch your right butt cheek before bringing it to the floor.
This upper ab exercise is regarded as one of the easiest to do.
- Get in the plank position.
- Contract your muscles and hold for ten seconds.
- Repeat 10 times.
This is a not-so-hard exercise that hits the upper abs beautifully.
- Lie flat on your back.
- Raise and extend your legs and arms.
- Make sure both are extended outward. (This is the start position)
- By crunching your abs/ core bring your arms and legs toward each other simultaneously.
- Your body will form a V.
- Hold at this point before returning to start position.
- Repeat 10 times for one set.
Part 2: The Best Upper Abs Workouts Gym for Women and Men
The exercises in this part require a piece of gym equipment to be done. But they can be done by both men and women.
The Wheel Rollouts
This exercise is popular with intermediate gym-goers.
- Get down on your knees and take the Ab wheel.
- Position the wheel in front of you and slowly roll in forward.
- Go as far out as you can.
- Hold the position for a couple of seconds.
- Slowly return to start position and then repeat the motion severally.
The Swiss Ball Crunch
This is one of the best upper ab exercises for women. Men can also use it to workout and tone their upper abdominal muscles.
- Lie flat on a Swiss ball facing up.
- Arch your back over the Swiss ball. (Starting position)
- Bring your hands up next to your ears.
- Extend your back flat and then crunch up and squeeze your core while maintaining contact with the ball.
- Hold for a couple of moments and then return to starting position.
- Repeat a couple of times.
From the above types of upper abs workouts, you should include three or four of them in your weekly workout plan.
This will ensure you hit your upper abdominals in different ways and severally throughout the week so as to get great results faster.
Bulking & Cutting: Learn how to bulk and cut properly here!
Is it Better at To Do Upper Abs Exercises at Home Or in The Gym?
I prefer working out my abs at home.
Because there are plenty of distractions in the gym and most upper ab workouts do not really require gym equipment.
So why pay someone money to do exercises that I can do at the comfort of my home? It makes no sense really.
Upper abs are important for daily functioning.
Training them also reduces back pain and the risk of getting injuries.
In this guide, I have shared with you tips that will help you get upper abs faster.
I have also shared with you some of the best abs workouts.
And we also recommend you try premium supplements brand to aid your results. A good one is this cutting pack here.
It is my belief that what I have shared with you today will help anyone to get the kind of washboard abs they are looking for.
|A Suite of Best Brands:|
View this top company brand; offers for body building, muscle & lean development here…
|A Top Muscle Mass Bottle:|
View this captivating testimonial; how he transformed from skinny to big muscled guy…