What is Incline Dumbbell Press?
The incline dumbbell press refers to a free-weight workout that specifically targets the triceps, shoulders, and chest.
The dumbbell incline press exercise is designed to enhance size and strength via the chest.
What Are the Benefits of Incline Dumbbell Press?
Below are some of the benefits of performing incline dumbbell presses:
- Strengthens the shoulder and upper chest more compared to flat-bench presses,
- Teaches you how to properly maintain a steady shoulder position for daily movements,
- Allows for free rotation of the shoulders without any barbell restrictions,
- Offers a new bench press variation, thus enabling you to progress in your training.
When compared to other bench workouts, this particular exercise has 2 major benefits;
- It uses dumbbells that allow for a more natural motion range of the arms and shoulders, which is especially beneficial for those individuals with tight shoulders.
- The incline db press angle changes how the pressing muscles tighten, which transfers the weight to the shoulder and upper chest more than flat bench presses.
What Muscles Does the Dumbbell Incline Press Work?
The dumbbell incline press mainly works the upper chest, particularly the pectoralis major.
This is a region of the chest that is nearly totally uninvolved in most common chest workouts such as the chest fly, incline pushups, and bench press.
Apart from the upper part of the pecs, this exercise also targets the triceps (found at the back of your arms) and the deltoids (found within your shoulders).
How to Perform it Correctly and Safely
Just like any other exercise, your form is key.
Apart from preventing injuries, doing the exercise correctly will get you the desired results within no time.
Here is a step by step guide on how to do an incline dumbbell press;
- Start by laying on an incline bench whilst holding a dumbbell in both hands on top of your thighs. Ensure that the palms of your hands are facing one another.
- Making use of your thighs to assist in pushing up the dumbbells, lift each dumbbell one at a time and hold them shoulder apart.
- Once the dumbbells are raised to your shoulder’s width, rotate the wrists forward to have your palms facing away down. This is your starting position.
- Breathe out then push up the dumbbells using your chest. Ensure that you always maintain complete control of the dumbbells.
- Next, lock both arms at the top, wait for a second, and slowly start lowering the weights. Note that lowering of the weights should ideally take approximately twice the time it took to raise them.
- Repeat this movement form the recommended number of repetitions.
- Once done, position the weights on your thighs then place then down on the floor.
Various Incline Db Press Techniques and Exercises
If you are using an adjustable bench, you could make use of the different incline dumbbell press angles of the incline bench.
Second, you could try performing these exercises with the palms of your hands facing one another.
You could also do this exercise with your palms facing one another and then twisting your wrists while lifting the weights so that your palms are facing away from you at the very top of the lift.
The Flat Incline Dumbbell Bench Press Vs Incline Dumbbell Press
This is a subjective question. It is all just a matter of choice and preference.
It also depends on your personal goals and exactly what you wish to achieve.
To get the best results, do both chest exercises since they work on the same muscles but in slightly differing ways.
Also the Incline Dumbbell bench press do work on the pectoralis major, anterior deltoid, and triceps brachii.
Incline Dumbbell Press Versus Incline Press Machine
Both exercises (incline db press and incline press machine) target the pectoral muscles. However, just because they target the same muscles does not mean that they are the same!
Those individuals that easily injure their shoulders or have constant shoulder pains, the incline press machine is a worthwhile solution. This is because it has several handle angles, which allow you to choose a safe position.
Different from the dumbbell incline press that is performed laying on your back, the incline press machine is performed from an upright posture.
When it comes to building muscles, the incline dumbbell press is more effective compared to the press machine. The former involves a wider range of motion compared to the latter.
Both exercises, however, have their own unique benefits that can be used to enhance muscle and strength.
Is it Better Than Incline Dumbbell Flys?
There is no definite winner in this particular battle. Doing one over the other is simply denying yourself complete muscular development. You need to perform both exercises if you want to build a broad, thick chest.
The incline dumbbell press is a great exercise for strength building whereas dumbbell flys build chest width.
You will be better off including both routines to your workout. But if you had to choose only one among the two, it should be the incline dumbbell press.
Who Should Do it and Why
The incline dumbbell press should be performed by anyone who wishes to have a broader and stronger chest, given that the exercise mainly targets the upper chest.
Bodybuilders, in particular, can greatly benefit from this exercise.
|View best 10 Best mass building guide. Here is the guide||Why Crazy bulk D-bal is loved by beginners? Check out facts||Can Anabol25 pills help you build mass? View details|