Chest and tricep workouts are workouts that recruit both chest and tricep muscles.
They are brilliant for building a formidable physique with the much sought after “V” shaped torso.
Although the workouts are normally done by men, women bodybuilders are also increasingly doing them to enhance their physiques.
The chest muscle is the anchor for many muscles and it also protects the vital organs underneath it.
In terms of daily functions, strong tricep muscles are very important.
Without them, it could be very difficult and perhaps impossible for us to use our arms as we normally use them.
Doing chest and triceps workout at the same time is not only effective but also time-saving.
No need to spend a lot of time exercising the two muscle groups separately when you could spend half the time exercising both at the same time.
Insane Chest and Tricep Workouts
The Bench Press
This is one of the best chest exercises but many people also do not know that it is also very good for working out the triceps.
How to perform the bench press
- Lie flat on the bench (don’t flatten the arch on your back but don’t arch it further either).
- Plant your feet on the ground.
- Lock your shoulders and hold the barbell at slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Lift the bar straight overhead by driving through your chest and arms.
- Inhale slowly and bring the bar down to your midriff but don’t let it touch your chest.
- Hold the position for two seconds and then slowly drive the bar up while exhaling. This is one rep.
- Do ten reps to complete a set.
Many people do pushups at home. It is one of the best alternatives to working out using equipment in the gym.
Many people, however, do not know that there is a variation of pushups they can do to hit both their pecs and triceps.
The variation is known as diamond pushups.
How to perform the diamond pushup
- Lie down flat and face down.
- Get to the plank position.
- Spread your fingers and form a diamond by touching your thumbs together and your first fingers together.
- Firm your core and your back and press up normally.
- Move slowly for maximum results.
Chest Guide: Body weight chest exercises
Incline Dumbbell Fly
This is primarily a tricep and an upper chest workout.
The incline dumbbell is also one of the many chest and tricep workouts with dumbbells. It is best known for making the upper chest massive and strong.
So it can also be considered a chest and tricep workout for strength.
How to perform the Incline dumbbell fly
- Incline your bench 45 degrees and hold two dumbbells overhand.
- Lie on the bench and plant your feet on the ground.
- Bring the dumbbells to either side of your chest.
- Extend your arms with a slight bend at the elbows. (This is the start position)
- Move both your arms to just above your chest.
- Repeat ten times for one set.
Dumbbell Skull Crushers
It is not easy to get big triceps. However, it is something that can be done. This exercise can help you build them quickly. It is also a pretty effective triceps and chest workout.
How to perform the dumbbell skull crusher
- Start at the position of the bench press position (as explained earlier).
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- Pick one lightweight dumbbell in each hand and raise them over your head.
- Bring the dumbbells slowly towards your skull while ensuring your elbows continue facing skywards throughout the movement.
- Stop when the dumbbells are just above your skull.
- Do several repetitions.
Abs Guide: Upper abs workouts tips
Bar dips are traditionally known for improving triceps. But they also recruit chest muscles especially when they are weighted. They are perfect for making pecs pop out.
How to perform a bar dip
- Get hanging on a dip bar.
- Lean forward about 45 degrees.
- Cross your legs for stability.
- Dip until your lower chest is level with the bar.
- Push yourself up while ensuring your back is straight and your core tightened.
- Repeat severally.
- After some time, start wearing weights to make the exercise more challenging.
Chest and Triceps workout Advice for Beginners
As a beginner, you should start doing chest and tricep workouts from the start. This could result in injuries.
You should start with chest and tricep workout for beginners.
These are those which are not too challenging.
You should only do chest and tricep superset workouts after getting used to the correct form of doing things and gaining the strength necessary for the next level.
This is because chest and tricep superset workouts are for those who are doing chest and tricep workout bodybuilding.