|We hope you love the top products we recommend! Please be informed if you buy something through this guide, we may get a share of sales.|
Do you really desire weight gain. Get big, lean, and mean?
If so, then this list is just what you need.
Below, we review the best protein powder for lean muscle building.
For these forms of whey, we also list their key benefits such as weight gain, weight loss, better athletic performance etc…
… plus ingredients and compare the products against one another.
By the time you are done reading this list, you should be able to know for sure which forms of whey protein is the best for you and your body goals.
I will also be answering some of the questions you frequently ask me about different forms of whey protein supplements, and how they affects your fitness.
The 10 Best Protein Powder for Men (and Women)
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard
According to Optimum Nutrition, the Gold Standard Whey protein is #1 on their stable.
And is a top bulking powers loved by many hard gainers, looking for real gains and strength!
By this they mean it is the perfect protein blends of everything and that other companies use it to benchmark their products.
This may be a marketing statement but it is definitely a superior quality whey product with solid amounts of protein ratio than most brands.
I should know this as I have used it before. (Read more here)
The powder is available in four flavors: Vanilla Ice Cream, Mocha Cappuccino, Double Rich Chocolate, and Coffee.
I got the double rich chocolate and I really loved the taste.
It does not taste like actual chocolate but it is close enough.
The Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey protein product is made of 100 percent whey protein isolates, peptides, and concentrates.
Each serving of it will provide you with about 24 grams of protein for lean muscle building and serious weight gain.
Therefore, if you are working hard in the gym and you start taking it for weight gain results, the amounts of protein content should be able to pack some serious mass in a couple of weeks or months.
This Optimum Nutrition protein powder also has branched chain amino acids. These amino acids also help with lean muscle building and with increasing strength.
I got big when I used this product late last year.
I also seriously improved my body composition at the same time. This was something that I was not expecting during the bulking phase but I achieved it largely because of this product.
- Forms of whey regarded by athletes as one of the best proteins
- Perfect for lean muscle building and strength building
- Improves athletic performance
- Promotes weight gain and recovery process
- Quality product made from quality ingredients by a top manufacturer
- Perfect for use before and after workouts. Can also be taken early in the morning
- Has been Instantized making it easy to mix
- Does not have any banned substances
- The primary ingredients are different forms of whey: whey protein isolates, whey protein concentrates, naturally occurring branched chain amino acids, natural peanut butter, and dark chocolate chips. The amounts of protein is high, ingredients are blended for muscle building.
- Each serving provides 100 calories, 24 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat, and 6 grams of carbs.
2. Battle Ready Fuel (BRF) Whey Protein Product
Arguably one of the best protein powder for men; effective because it is 90% whey protein isolate.
What this means is that every serving of it provides you with much more pure protein than most other whey protein products.
To be precise, the amounts of protein in BRF is approximately 28 grams of quality protein per serving.
If you take this amount twice or thrice daily and you train hard, your body will have no option but to obey and bulk.
The product comes in a delicious triple chocolate flavour that tastes really nice when mixed with water or milk to make a shake.
The thing I love the most about this whey protein product is that, it only has very negligible amounts of protein and can be used safely by lactose-intolerant people.
This is unlike most brands filled with much forms of whey and are unsuitable for use by lactose-intolerant people.
- Comes in a tasty chocolate flavor,
- Made using high quality ingredients,
- Delivers 28 grams of protein per serving,
- Has only negligible amounts of fats, sugars, and carbs making it perfect for cutting,
- Absorbs well to provide muscles growth nutrients for weight gain,
- Primarily focuses on building lean muscle mass,
- Comes with a money-back guarantee.
- No too much forms of whey. Made of 100% whey isolate protein and has no junk or filler material.
- Each serving delivers 106.7 calories, 28 grams of protein, 0.75 grams of fat, and 1.06 grams of carbs.
- Has only negligible amounts of lactose.
3. BSN SYNTHA-6 Whey Protein Powder
BSN is one of the most popular fitness supplements manufacturers in the world.
The company has been making superior quality supplements since 2001, using variant forms of whey, BCAA and other items.
Like all other BSN products, Syntha-6 is a top quality supplement, one of the best protein power for men brands often use for weight gain.
And very much by many for been delicious!
You will love how it tastes even when you take it plain as a powder.
It is referred to as SYNTHA 6 because it includes forms of whey protein from six different sources.
The advantage of having different kinds of protein is that it ensures more absorption and use in the body.
So the 22 grams of protein you get from this powder will almost entirely be absorbed and utilized for muscle building.
In addition to the protein ingredients, this great protein powder also comes with other important ingredients such as essential amino acids, branched chain amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber.
These other ingredients will serve three main purposes. To help you grow lean muscle, to help you recover, and to improve your overall wellbeing.
In short, this is a top protein powder that you should not overlook.
- Fantastic source of protein for weight gain, physical strength
- Quality amounts of protein: 22 grams
- It is inexpensive
- Tastes very good compared to other whey protein powders
- Amazing protein supplements. Good as snack, pre and post workout
- Has got amino acids, vitamins, and minerals that support recovery
- Can be taken in the morning or before bed
- Each serving packs a good amount of dietary fiber
- Made in the United States of America
- Includes six protein blends (glutamine peptides, egg albumen, milk protein isolate, micellar casein, calcium caseinate, whey protein isolate, and whey concentrate), naturally occurring BCAAs and essential amino acids, dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Includes soy, wheat, egg, and milk ingredients that you may be allergic to.
4. Dymatize ISO 100
However, if the company continues making high quality fitness products like this one, it will soon earn its place among the legendary makers of fitness and sports supplements.
Why do I say this?
Because this Dymatize ISO 100 hydrolyzed wheys is science-based and very effective for weight gain and general body building.
The product is well researched…
…is a fast-absorbing and fast-digesting 100 percent whey protein isolate powder.
What this means is that when you take it, your body will react to it faster and you will, therefore, get results (e.g. high energy, weight gain) faster.
In addition to the high energy which comes from ISO-100 Hydrolyzed Whey high-quality BCAA ingredients, amounts of protein in each serving provides about 25 grams of protein for muscle building.
So if you are just starting or you want to start a bulking phase, you should definitely consider this supplement.
It has got the amounts of protein blends you need to get big fast.
Key benefits of Dymatize ISO100
- Clean and pure whey protein isolate for lean muscle growth
- Delivers about 6 grams of BCAAs per serving for energy, muscle growth, and recovery
- Endorsed by champion athletes
- Made from quality protein ingredients; no banned ingredients or steroids
- Has very little sugar making it very unlikely to cause weight gain or diabetes
- Designed to absorb quickly and work fast
- Available in a variety of nice flavors; chocolate, birthday cake, banana, peanut butter, & orange
- Whey protein, BCAAs, Leucine, Vitamins, Iron, and calcium; a great blend for rapid muscle building and proper muscle health.
- Contains milk, soy, sucralose, and artificial flavors, which some people may not like or may be allergic too.
5. Isopure Low Carb
Why? I will get to the why in a few moments.
First, let’s describe the taste.
The Isopure Low Carb is available in a variety of indulgent flavors.
The flavors include mint chocolate, Espresso, Dutch Chocolate, Cookies and Cream, Columbian Coffee, and Apple Pie.
The Dutch chocolate is regarded as the best tasting version of this product.
The amounts of protein in each serving (about 33 grams) delivers a whopping 25 grams of pure whey protein isolate.
This is a pretty good quality of protein for weight gain.
What makes it even better is the fact that none of the 33 grams in the servings are carbs. This is perfect for those who do not want to gain unnecessary weight.
It is also perfect for those on a keto diet.
Moreover, it is one of the reasons why I consider Isopure Low Carb one of the healthiest protein powders out there.
The other reason is that this powder includes a variety of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Riboflavin, Niacin, Calcium, Iron, and Potassium.
These ingredients make this powder healthy because they contribute not only to muscle health but also to overall health.
- Triggers muscle synthesis, weight gain and size
- Promotes recovery after heavy workouts
- Great for meeting daily protein requirements
- Perfect for weight management as it has no carbs
- Provides energy
- Has ingredients to keep your muscle healthy and going strong
- 100% whey protein isolate, minerals, dietary fibers, good fats, vitamins, and minerals; to trigger muscle growth and keep you strong for long.
- Has no sugar, no gluten, no carbs, and no lactose.
6. Optimum Nutrition Whey Isolates
It is not very different from the first one. In fact, there are only two major differences.
The first difference is in the flavor.
This ON product tastes like Vanilla Ice Cream while the other tastes like chocolate.
Besides the flavor, the only other major difference is in the quantity of fat and carbs.
This one has less fat and carbs than the first one.
So if you have been wanting less fat and carbs in your system, this has the right amounts of protein blends for you!
The amounts of protein in each serving is not less than 24 grams of whey protein. 5.5 grams of naturally occurring BCAAs, and 4 grams of naturally occurring glutamine per serving. And is gluten free!
This Vanilla Ice Cream flavor whey protein product is made of high-quality ingredients.
The ingredients include pure whey protein isolate and important amino acids.
There are no filler ingredients in the product.
This means each serving of it delivers a high quantity of quality protein (about 24 grams) that your muscles can immediately put to use for muscle-building and ultimately, weight gain.
This great whey isolate powder is also instantized as the previously reviewed one. This means you will find it easy to mix with water or your workout smoothie.
- Unique types of protein of high-quality per serving
- It is made of a special whey protein blends that helps build muscle and improve strength
- Boost exercise results and weight gain
- Can be taken anytime; in the morning or before and after workouts
- Made in the USA
- Unique forms of whey, and supports weight management goals.
- The main ingredients are whey protein isolates, BCAAs, vitamins, calcium, and iron. They are perfect for muscle building and for optimal muscle health.
- Each serving provides 120 calories, 24 grams of protein, 1 gram of fat, and 3 grams of carbs.
7. Body Fortress Whey Protein
On Amazon, it has the “Amazon’s Choice” tag, which means that it is highly rated by customers, well-priced, and available for immediate shipping.
This great whey protein product for bodybuilding didn’t just become a top product by luck…
One factor for its popularity is that Body Fortress Advanced Whey is well-researched.
According to Body Fortress, the American manufacturer of the product, a lot of research has gone into making it the best powder for bodybuilding.
It is real quality because it not only has quality protein blends and other ingredients for promoting muscle synthesis, lean muscle building and weight gain, but also has one for super recovery and energy restoration.
Moreover, it just doesn’t deliver proteins with every serving.
Every two scoops of it will provide you with 60 grams of pure whey protein.
This is more than enough for you to build a serious lean mass within a couple of weeks.
Other ingredients include BCAAs.
You will receive 12 grams of BCAAs for every two scoop serving.
The BCAAs will further help you with lean muscle building and will provide you with energy for power.
So, in terms of quantity of useful ingredients in every serving, you will find that this whey protein product provides much more than most other similar products.
- A carefully crafted blend of ingredients for lean muscle synthesis
- Great for promoting metabolic function
- Perfect for recovery and energy replenishing
- Delivers more whey protein and BCAAs per serving compared to most whey protein products
- Available in many great flavors
- Formulated with high grade forms of whey and well-priced.
- Primary ingredients include whey protein, branched chain amino acids, essential amino acids, non-essential amino acids, L-Glutamine, creatine monohydrate, and Taurine.
- Has no aspartame or gluten.
8. Six Star Whey Protein
Although Six Star is just this product’s brand name, based on its ingredients and how great it is, many people would gladly give it six stars.
This product is made by Six Star Pro Nutrition a subsidiary of the legendary MuscleTech Nutrition Company.
It comes in five unique and indulgent flavors including triple chocolate, strawberry, cookies and cream, vanilla, and plain (unflavoured).
This product delivers a good quantity of superior quality pure whey protein for every serving (32 grams).
This is perfect for bodybuilding and it means that the product has little or no filler ingredients.
In addition to the whey protein, every serving of this protein powder also delivers a good quantity of BCAAs (7.4 grams).
These are fast-absorbing and together with glutamine (another ingredient in the product), they help provide energy and hasten recovery.
Considering the bulking phase usually includes a lot of hard work in the gym, the fact that this whey powder accelerates recovery makes it an excellent choice for those seeking to bulk.
This is one of the few whey products on this list of top 2019 whey protein powders that are made with everyone in mind. It can be used safely by beginners, pro athletes, men, women, and young adults.
- Delivers a good amounts of protein per serving
- Includes fast absorbing BCAAs and glutamine for recovery and energy provision
- Engineered to be used by everybody including pro athletes, beginners, men, women, and young adults
- Made by a subsidiary of MuscleTech and endorsed by pro athletes including Rob Gronkowski, and Russell Westbrook
- Significantly improve strength and promotes weight gain
- Contains no banned substances
- The main ingredients include a whey protein concentrate, a whey protein isolate, maltodextrin, cocoa powder, and flavors.
- Other ingredients include soy lecithin which may cause allergic reactions.
9. EAS Protein 100% Pure Whey
Of course, you will have to train hard, but this brand designed with pure forms of whey and other ingredients that promotes energy and strength!
Each serving contains 30 grams of pure quality protein for building muscle and weight gain.
Each serving also contains about 8 grams of branched chain amino acids.
These will trigger muscle synthesis and will help with the repair of muscle damaged during training.
What I love the most about this product is the fact that it does not have any filler ingredients; no sugars, no carbs, no hidden proprietary blends. It is just pure protein for muscle building and recovery.
I also love how the product includes vitamins and minerals for optimal muscle health.
The above are the reasons why this is one of the top ten whey protein products.
- Builds muscle
- Promotes recovery
- Available in multiple flavors
- Highly rated and well-priced on Amazon.com
- Has no fillers or added sugars
- Includes BCAAs for muscle health and recovery
- The main ingredients include whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, BCAAs, vitamins, and minerals.
- Contains soy and milk ingredients.
10. Naked Whey 100% Grass Fed
It is “Naked” in the sense that it does not have any fillers or “dirty” ingredients.
It is only made of pure ingredients engineered for maximum muscle growth. Nothing to hide.
The forms of whey is gotten from free range grass fed dairy cows from small farms across the USA.
This means it is clean and perfect for promoting natural muscle growth unlike whey products made from other sources.
You will love this product especially if you are a hyperallergic person as it does not have any gluten, soy, growth hormone, GMO ingredients, artificial colors, flavors, or fillers.
So it is very unlikely that you will experience a negative reaction from taking this.
In terms of the ingredients it has, they include protein, branched-chain amino acids, and carbs.
Each serving provides 25 grams of protein, 6 grams of BCAAs, and three grams of carbs.
These quantities are sufficient for optimal muscle growth especially if you take two to three servings per day.
Naked 100% GrassFed whey protein is available in five flavors including unflavoured, matcha, chocolate, strawberry, vanilla.
The flavors are authentic. You can simply just scoop the powder and take as is or mix with water and drink.
This powder can also be easily mixed with recipes, shakes, and smoothies to make it even easier to consume.
- Provides enough protein for muscle synthesis
- Pure whey protein from grass-fed dairy cows
- Made only by natural ingredients; no known allergens, artificial flavors, fillers, or chemicals
- Made in the USA
- Easy to consume
- Can be used by both men and women
- The main ingredient is 100% grass fed whey. Other ingredients include BCAAs, EAAs, vitamins, and minerals.
- This is one of the purest whey proteins; you are very unlikely to trigger an allergic reaction from using it.
11. Designer Whey 100% Natural
It may be last in this list but it is a pretty decent product.
The powder is manufactured by Designer Protein, a relatively new manufacturer of supplements.
It is, however, quite popular on online retailer sites, especially Amazon.com.
The powder is relatively cheap and available in eight flavors including double chocolate, French Vanilla, and Chocolate Mocha.
French Vanilla is the most popular version of it.
Each serving of this 100% Natural whey protein provides 20 grams of protein; just enough for lean muscle and solid weight gain.
Each serving also provides amino acids for muscle building.
Like the Naked Whey protein I have reviewed above, this protein product also has no preservatives, no artificial colors, no artificial sweeteners, and no artificial flavors.
It is completely natural.
Instead of such unnecessary and unhealthy fillers, it has electrolytes, vitamins, and minerals for muscle health and accelerated recovery from heavy training. It is truly a great whey protein product.
- 100% natural whey protein product
- Provides twenty grams of pure protein per serving
- One of the cheapest whey protein products
- Has no harmful ingredients
- 100% natural whey protein, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes for muscle growth and post-exercise recovery.
- Has no preservatives or artificial sweeteners.
5 Unique Benefits of Taking Protein Powder Supplements
Protein powder supplements are primarily bought to help build muscles. Are there any other benefits of taking them?
Find out below:
They build lean muscle and solid weight gain
This is pretty obvious.
Protein is needed for muscle building.
By taking top quality protein powders, your muscles will be provided with quality amounts of protein and other essential nutrients needed for growth. Some brands are formulated with forms of whey like concentrate, Isolate etc. to form a stronger
You need to also train hard, eat well, drink water, and get sufficient rest.
If you do all these things, you should be able to gain serious mass effortlessly.
Protein powders accelerate muscle recovery
Many protein powders have ingredients such as BCAAs, probiotics, glutamine, and L-arginine that help accelerate muscle recovery.
Muscle recovery is important especially during the bulking phase when you will be training hard and frequently.
Moreover, without proper recovery, you will be less likely to gain a lot of muscle.
Protein powders provide energy and strength
Many whey protein products have got ingredients such as BCAAs to provide energy and strength.
So if you have been wanting the energy to train harder and for longer and the strength to lift heavy, you should grab yourself a whey protein product.
Protein powder for weight loss is real
Yes the premium formulas such as Gold Standard help reduce bodyfat, when taken with proper exercises or workouts.
I have personally used before a protein powder that really supercharged by metabolism.
This helped me to burn a lot of fat and to go from big and fat to lean and mean.
I think this benefit of whey protein products is often underrated. But now you know about it.
Promote optimal muscle health
You want your muscles to be perfectly primed for growth, strength, and power?
Top quality protein powders like the ones from Optimum Nutrition and BSN have got other ingredients such as vitamins and minerals to promote optimal muscle health.
These ingredients will not only make your muscles healthy but also ensure that they remain strong and healthy even as you age.
Whey Protein Isolate Powder Vs Non-Isolate
Whey protein is extracted from whey a by-product of milk in during the making of cheese.
When the whey by-product is processed, it usually yields forms of whey protein in three forms: whey hydrolysate, whey concentrate, and whey isolate.
The main difference between these forms of whey products is in their composition especially the quantity of pure protein they have.
Whey isolate (whey protein isolate) is considered to be the best form of whey because it has a higher fraction of quality protein.
It is also often virtually free of other cheese-making by-products including cholesterol, fat, carbs, and lactose.
So if you have to whey powders to choose and one is made of whey isolate and the other one of any other whey form, choose the whey isolate one.
Common Ingredients to look out for
The best protein products are made of whey protein isolate.
So make sure you do not buy anything without whey protein isolate in its ingredients. It is this form of pure protein that is needed for muscle or weight gain.
The best protein products also have BCAAs. These are important for triggering protein synthesis and for providing fuel/ energy to muscles.
Top whey protein supplements also have ingredients such as essential amino acids, vitamins, and minerals for muscle building, for recovery, and for optimal muscle health.
In summary, the ingredients you should look out for are whey protein isolates, BCAAs, essential amino acids, vitamins, and minerals.
Whey Protein Price: Where to Get Some Packs With Best Deals and Discounts Today
There are many great online and offline stores where you can buy quality whey protein products.
They include Costco, GNC, Walmart, and so on.
However, the very best place to get whey protein products is Amazon.com. This is because the store is the biggest and the most efficient online retailer.
Amazon.com is also one of the few places where you are guaranteed quality and authentic products from the actual manufacturers themselves.
You are also likely to get the best prices and the shortest delivery times if you buy your whey protein from Amazon.
You have seen the very best whey protein powders out there.
Been formulated with quality protein blends help with lean muscle building but they are not all made the same.
That is, some brands are better than others in terms of protein blends, ingredients and in terms of extra benefits.
So it is up to you to find the best one for your needs on the list. Whatever you pick will most likely help you to add serious mass.
In case, you do not have time to choose, pick the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard – it comes with amazing protein blends. I have used it before and I believe it works for most people.
Questions and Answers:
Why is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% whey protein powder very popular?
The company strives for the best, in research, protein blends quality, unique forms of whey used, variety of flavors and amazing customer care!
This one is the best available brands, with solid amounts of protein inputs. And contains no filler materials.
It builds muscle, promotes recovery, provides muscle fuel, and helps to keep muscles healthy.
In addition, it is made by Optimum Nutrition, a renowned American fitness supplements manufacturer.
Q: Does egg white protein powder gives more health values?
Egg white protein powder products have got good amounts of quality protein blends for muscle building. They also have positive effects on muscle repair and recovery.
Egg white protein products also have very little carbs, fat, and cholesterol. This makes them healthier in the eyes of many people.
However, they are not necessarily healthier than whey protein products. This is because top quality whey protein products also have very little carbs, fat, sugars, and cholesterol.
Moreover, most proponents of egg white protein products usually say that they are healthier because they do not have lactose since they are not made of milk.
However, studies have shown that many whey isolate protein products are usually very pure and only with negligible amounts of lactose.
This means they cannot affect lactose intolerant people and are, therefore, as healthy as egg white protein powders.
Is whey protein powder Walmart better than Amazon?
No. Walmart is a big company and it sells quality and authentic whey protein products as long as I am concerned.
The case is the same with Amazon.
It is the biggest online retailer and it sells quality and authentic whey protein products.
So you can get quality fitness products from both retailers. However, if you want to get them from the comfort of your home and at better prices, you should get them from Amazon.com.
Which is the best tasting protein powder brand?
The Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard double rich chocolate flavor is regarded as the best tasting protein powder brand on many online fitness forums.
I have actually used it before and I can confirm that it has a pretty decent indulgent taste.
Can non-whey protein powder give me the same benefits?
Probably. However, whey isolate protein powders are considered as the fastest absorbing and most efficient protein powders.
So if you want something that will give you maximum results, you better choose a whey protein powder product.
Vanilla whey protein powder Vs banana flavor?
The vanilla flavor usually works for most people. Not many companies can pull off the banana flavor, so if you are unsure, you better go for the vanilla flavor or the unflavoured versions.
Casein vs whey
Both casein protein and whey protein come from milk and are by-products of the cheese making process.
However, there are several differences between the two types of protein blends.
Whey protein is generally considered to be perfect for bodybuilding because it has higher quality protein and has got more BCAAs which are great for stimulating muscle synthesis.
Whey protein also has positive effects on muscle growth, repair, and recovery.
Casein protein, on the other hand, also helps with muscle growth. It also has got bioactive peptides that have positive effects on the digestive, cardiovascular, and immune systems.
So both are pretty good protein sources. However, for bodybuilding/ bulking, you should go for whey protein powders.
Is brown rice protein good for bodybuilding?
Not really. The brown rice protein have quality protein and amino acids but, when compare with premium best protein powder for men and ladies?
Then it become obvious this type of plantbased protein have less amounts of protein and less amino acids needed for proper protein synthesis and muscle building.
Amazon Disclosure: “We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”